This is a work in progress:
Contrast Ratio Test This is useful for determining whether the text and background colour works well together from a legibility point of view.
- Laravel Cheat Sheet This is outdated but is still one of the best cheat sheet resources available.
- Google Developers Console Used to create and track API usage for services such as Google Maps, Calendar, Sheets etc.
Favicon Generator A quick way to generate icons including the typical browser favicon but also various app/device based icons. Simply upload a 512px square image and it’ll do the hardwork for you.
4. Email Marketing
Spam checker This tool makes for a good content test – should be used to measure the spam rating of an email. Use the comments returned by the app to make informed decisions about the exact copy used for any emailer.
- HTML Entity Codes It is always preferred to use entity HTML codes to ensure that symbols are displayed as intended.
- Web Page Test Page speed is a massive consideration for all website builds. Use this tool to measure how website handle TTFB (time to first byte) and many other performance metrics. It should be possible to achieve A grades unless there’s a technical or server limitation.
- Page Speed Insights Google provide this tool to inform developers of how to improve speed for both mobile and desktop experiences. We typically aim for around 80/100 – achieving 100% is not necessary.
- Pingdom Similar to the above two tools but tends to be part of all our speed and performance testing as it is provides somewhat different tests to the others.
- Tiny PNG We use TinyPNG for all our website and email builds prior to launch. We see massive improvements to image size, especially images with a transparent background.
- Tiny JPG We use TinyJPG for all our website and email builds prior to launch. Typically there is no further image quality loss from running JPG images through this tool.
- S3 Console Useful for managing storage when using Amazon S3 for a particular project.
- Setting up SSH keys Quite often we need SSH keys, this might be required for a Digital Ocean Droplet or perhaps for committing code using GitLab.
- DNS Records Helpful for looking up DNS records when waiting for DNS propagation to complete.
- DNS Records Always good to compare DNS records from at least one other resource! This tool tends to output all DNS records.
- MX Toolbox Similar to the above but you can search for specific DNS records.
- IP Address lookup Used for looking up the hostname/owner of an IP address. Helpful for determining whether an IP address is from a suitable source.
- Google Search Console A helpful tool for reviewing a website’s health – data reported by Google.
- Bing Webmaster Tools This is Bing’s equivalent tool for monitoring website health.